Start Backdating working

Backdating working

If you are of working age we may be able to backdate your claim for housing benefit up to six months from the date of receiving your written request.

If you disagree with our decision, you should write to us within one calendar month of the date on your notification letter to ask us to look at your application again.

Usually a Housing Benefit claim is paid from the following Monday after it has been received.

You can get these from the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) Helpline (see ‘Where can I get more help or information? To get the disabled worker element, you must also meet one of the following conditions.

Use the to check when you reach pension credit age.

Condition C - You get disability living allowance (DLA), attendance allowance (or an Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme equivalent), personal independence payment or armed forces independence payment.

You can only get the disabled worker element while you are entitled to one of these benefits.

If you or your partner have reached pension credit age, but are getting Income Support, income based Job Seekers Allowance or income related Employment & Support Allowance, your claim can only be backdated for up to one month (or six months if you claimed before 1st April 2016) if you can show good cause (see above) for not claiming earlier.